Wednesday, February 10, 2010

God and Country

Ok, so this weekend includes two of my favorite things -- Valentine's Day and the Olympics.  I am so excited for both of them!! 

I think Valentine's Day might be my favorite holiday, and it definitely is the most underrated.  The problem with V-Day is that it is marketed as some romantic sort of day.  That mushy stuff is nice, and I understand why we have a day to celebrate this, but people get left out and that's just not fun.  So, that's why I don't like to view Valentine's Day like that.  It is just a day full of love for EVERYONE.  If I had my way, it would be a religious holiday...it SHOULD be!  After all, God is love!  And what a better opportunity to show this to people than the day already known for love.  It is such a human need to feel loved, and sadly, many people in our world don't have anyone to show them love.  This year, I'm having my kids make valentines to take to a nursing home.  I'm hoping they get to help pass them out, too, but I'm not sure if it'll all work out.  This week, keep your eyes open...look for something you can do to make someone feel love who normally doesn't.... 

And the Olympics!  What an awesome event that takes place every two years that gives us a chance to not only view the best athletes in the world and gives us some way as a nation to come together in a really positive way.  I mean, for real....how many of you were like my family two summers ago, ten o'clock at night, chanting "USA, USA", screaming for the guy who swam the last leg of that relay who came back from half a lap behind to make sure Michael Phelps continued his quest of only winning gold, in what...like seven races?!?!  CRAZY...EXCITING!!!  I LOVE IT!  And with the Winter Olympics, we have Apollo Anton Ohno and Shaun White..and who knows who else will emerge!!  And just a warning...if I talk to you in the next two weeks, I will ask you if you're watching the Olympics...and if you tell me no, I will call you unAmerican.  So, if you're not tuning in, you better just lie...and oh yeah...Curling is a must watch...DVR it if you have to!

1 comment:

  1. Danae, I love you! :) The Olympics are always emotional for me which sounds weird (I know). I just think of all the wars, famine, diseases, terrorism, etc. and I feel hopeful because we can ALL STILL get together and compete. It is a picture of The World United As One and I LOVE it. Like I said, it gives me hope. There is no better way to say it. :)

    You must post pics of the Nursing Home Valentine Adventure! How precious! You are a GREAT MOM!

    ReplyDelete